Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TRIOLET THURSDAY: Two by Heidi Czerwiec


DETRITUS

We shed a lot while making love.
Yet what we gain, by what is lost
along with all the hair and skin we slough
(and we shed a lot while making love!):
our inhibitions at being in the buff,
the weight of failed loves past—
We shed a lot while making love,
yet what we gain by what is lost!


TRIOLET

I praise the circumference of thy shaft!
All night long, O my Evan,
I praise it lowered, half-, and fully-staffed.
I praise the circumference of thy shaft,
but most of all I praise the craft
with which you work its inches seven.
I praise the circumference of thy shaft
all night long – O my! Evan!


Heidi Czerwiec is assistant professor of Literature and Creative Writing at the University of North Dakota, where she is the Director of the annual UND Writers Conference. She is the author of Hiking the Maze (Finishing Line Press, 2009) and has poems and translations published or forthcoming in Measure, Nimrod, Evansville Review, Southern Indiana Review, Hunger Mountain, and International Poetry Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment