Tuesday, March 3, 2009

TRIOLET TUESDAY: Two by Marybeth Rua-Larsen




Hanging the Wreath

I nail it to the door. It doesn't swing
or fall or blow away. I make it stick,
unlike our holidays, your latest fling,
I nail it to the door. It doesn't swing,
like you, proposing with a diamond ring
and then surprised by No. I learned the trick:
I nail it to the door. It doesn't swing
or fall or blow away. I make it stick.

(first appeared in Lucid Rhythms)


My Early Spring

Another rainy day has turned to snow.
You sip your cabernet and turn the page
of a book you love, pretending not to know
another rainy day has turned to snow
and frozen everything I’d hoped would grow…
but me; I grab my boots and skip the rage
as another rainy day has turned to snow.
You sip your cabernet and turn the page.

(first appeared in Snakeskin)


BIO: Marybeth Rua-Larsen teaches English, Reading and ESL in the South Coast of Massachusetts. Her work has appeared in Measure, The Barefoot Muse, 14 by 14, Soundzine and The Worcester Review, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment